Diagnosed with colon tb. Is it contagious? Looking for diet plan

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have been diagnosed with colon tb. Is it contagious? my reports show that my liver is mildly enlarged and lymph nodes in upper abdomen. I do night shifts for livlihood, should i leave my job as it is going to impact the timings of prescribed medications regimen? what diet should suit me in this condition? please advice
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan Romic 52 minutes later

First, Abdominal tb is not contagious. Only pulmonary is. So you need to be sure that it doesn't involve the lungs. Colon tb is much easier to treat than other tb infections. This is not something uncommon today as people think.

Enlarged nodes and liver are typical for it because inflammation cause enlargement of lymphoid tissue in abdomen including liver and spleen.

Symptoms are usually similar to Crohns disease such as malaise, fever, diarrhea, abdominal cramps. Treatment usually last 6-12 months and 2 oral antibiotics are used, results are great and it is completely curable. You can take it at your work,why not? Your diet depends on symptoms. Just see which food trigger abdominal discomfort. Sometimes these medicines can cause nausea too.
You should eat fresh fruit, vegetables,milk products and fish. Take less alcohol, coffee and fats. Also avoid food which cause bloating and spicy food.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Follow-up: Diagnosed with colon tb. Is it contagious? Looking for diet plan 9 hours later
Thank you doc, it makes me feel better now. My lungs x-ray has come out clean and I have never coughed all this while. My medication started 3 days ago. I also feel strain and pain in the cervical area. Is there a possibility that lymph nodes there may be affected? Should I get that checked up as well?
Answered by Dr. Ivan Romic 3 hours later
Hi again,

Great, if lungs are clear then just use the therapy and everything will be fine. Lymph nodes are organs, which are important for immune system and defense from all kind of microbes. They are activated and enlarged as a response of infection when they start to produce lymphocytes. It means that nodes aren’t swollen because it is infected, but because it is hyperactive to produce immunity cells.
It happens in every infection viral or bacterial such as mononucleosis or pneumonia and other lymph nodes in inguinal region may be swollen and painful.

Hope I am helpful. Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with colon tb. Is it contagious? Looking for diet plan 3 days later
Hello Dr,
Thank you for replying. I got scared when I found out about the disease but you have been a great help for educating me about it. It gave me clarity and I'm 100% sure that I'll be free from it soon. Though my GE told me the same things but sometimes we just need affirmations to be in positive state of mind.

You have a great day.
Answered by Dr. Ivan Romic 26 minutes later
Hi again.
i am glad that i ve been helpful. it is always good to ask for a second opinion. sometimes doctors arent honest but i think that true (good or bad) must be said to patients. i am also sure that everything will be fine. you are young and healthy so there is no need to be concerned about treatment.
wish you luck. and waiting for your review:)