Diagnosed with colon cancer. Is there a natural approach to healing colon cancer?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with stage 2 -3? colon cancer. The doctor told him to go home and get his affairs in order as he gave him 6-12 months to live. It was suggested that he undergo chemo therapy. He refused. He has recently stopped taking the pills given to him because he said they made him feel so bad. Is there a natural approach to healing colon cancer? Such as turmeric? I have also heard of dandelion root
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Colon Cancer

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 57 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

Few Facts : Unfortunately there is no natural cure for colon cancer

All that is available has palliative role in one form or another

If he has been advised to undergo chemotherapy , please persuade him to do so

This will improve the quality of his life , else the terminal stages can make the patient miserable

How long one lives is not in our hands but how one lives is definitely within us, so ask him to follow his doctors advise and lead a better quality life

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing your friend a better life ahead

Follow-up: Diagnosed with colon cancer. Is there a natural approach to healing colon cancer? 44 hours later
I was informed that he has stage 2 colon cancer and as I understand stage 2 has a successful 67% cure rate if one undergoes surgery. Is this true? And what is the surgery that is involved?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 10 minutes later
Hi

There are different classifications available
In a broader sense stage 2 has local spread

The primary treatment is surgical resection and end to end anastomosis
After the exploration and histopathological spread of disease is known, chemotherapy , radiotherapy may be added

Results vary and depend on the site of lesion, spread to surrounding organs, involvement of lymphnodes etc

Yet if a good surgical resection is done and chemotherapy if needed is given five year survival is more than 67%

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing your friend a speedy recovery