Diagnosed with cervical spine tuberculosis. Taking akt4. Now feeling fine. Can I discontinue medication?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I was diagonsed of cervical spine tuborculosis last year in March 2012 and now it has been 1 year and I have consumed AKT 4 for 1 month then AKT 3 for 3 Months and right now I have been asked to continue AKT 2 till Nov 2013.Do I need this prolonged medication as the only way doctor confirmed my TB infection was through MRI scan done twice after the medication my symptoms of persistent neck pain went away so I was confirmed that I have TB and I need to take medication for 1 and a Half year Now I feel completly fine can I discontinue the medication as the symptops are not there any more and it has been 1 year since I have been taking it
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 36 minutes later
Hi
Though TB has been diagnosed with MRI,you got response after taking Anti tuberculosis treatment.
Though you feel completely normal,the medication should not be discontinued.
Sometimes,TB bacteria will become active after sudden stoppage of tablets in the middle.Then,it may go into Multi drug resistant TB,where routine drugs wont work.
Please take the treatment as advised by your doctor.
Wish you speedy recovery

Follow-up: Diagnosed with cervical spine tuberculosis. Taking akt4. Now feeling fine. Can I discontinue medication? 1 hour later
Thanks for your valuable advise, I really appreciate it.
I was having doubts but your advise has cleared it

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Hi
You are welcome