Diagnosed with bronchitis. Was given Z-pack but still feeling fatigued, coughing, chest and upper back hurt. Suggest?

I was diagnosed on Wednesday Sept. 18 with bronchitis. Was given Z-pack for treatment. Today is Saturday and I am still feeling VERY fatigued, still coughing, and my chest and upper back hurt SO bad. Could this possibly be pneumonia?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need other symptoms details,other drugs to be used

Detailed Answer:

Before running to the answer to your concern, I would like to know if you are also

- having running noise,

- fever (what degree)

- sneezing

- throat problems (burn, pain, difficulty when swallowing)

- headache especially near ear area

Until I'll get such data, I can only say that Z-pack alone cannot help you treat your bronchitis. That's why I need to have such data to give the entire treatment you need.

- if you are having running noise which makes it difficult to breathe or sleep, nasal drops (saline or decongestants) should be used. Warm baths or aerosols can also apply.

I usually recommend my patients to make a simple "aerosol-like" treatment at home: warm up water and cover your head to inhale the vapor. It helps relieve the respiratory ways. Preferably, chamomile tea and little iodized salt can be added to water.

- as you are still having cough, you should take cough drugs. However, I need to know if your coughing is associated with sputum or not.

If you are having sputum but cannot spit out, you can use herbal mixture syrup or carbo-cysteine or acetyl-cysteine syrup.

- you can use pain killers (ibuprofen, acetaminophen, ketoprofen, etc.) to relieve the pain for at least 3 consecutive days twice daily.

Do not worry about the pain in your chest and upper back as it is related to coughing. It will disappear once cough is stopped.

- With regards to being fatigued, it is normal in such cases. Rest is advised together with multivitamins (especially vitamin C) use.

I do recommend my patients to eat healthy foods, preferably fresh poultry soups to get energy.

Waiting forward to have your symptoms details for further advice.

Wishing fast recovery!