Diagnosed with appendicitis. What is the success rate of antibiotics in early stage appendicitis?

hi, i was diagnosed with early stage appendicitis yesterday after ultrasound. my doctor prescribed antibiotics. we are flying to Germany for vacation in two days. I am wondering what is the success rate of antibiotics in early stage appendicitis . will air travel cause any problem if i still have pain?
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 1 hour later

The success rate of antibiotics in early stage appendicitis is a controversial issue. In most of the cases the early appendicitis without complication, will respond well to the conservative management in the form of antibiotics and analgesics. So I don’t think it will hamper you much during your air-travel in two days.

But in most of the cases appendicitis recur within 1 year period and then it’s better to go for surgery. Surgery is the definitive treatment for appendicitis not the antibiotic management. Moreover when complication like perforation occurs then surgery becomes the only option.

So don’t be panicked. Your journey, I think, will not be hampered much during travelling. But you should be in touch with your surgeon. Whenever slightest problem will appear in future or if it recurs you should undergo surgery.

I think my advice will be of help to you. If you have further enquiries you may write to me. If you are satisfied with the answer please post a review on this answer.

Thank you once again.
Wish you good health and quick recovery.

Dr. Arnab Maji
Follow-up: Diagnosed with appendicitis. What is the success rate of antibiotics in early stage appendicitis? 26 hours later
Thanks for the answer. i went to see a surgeon who convinced me to have the surgery to remve appendix.I went through the laparoscopy surgery the same day. We have postponed my trip to next week, which will give me 1 wk to recover. Are there any issues I should be aware of traveling on a airplane for more than 10 hrs? I am a little worried about the sitting for long hours may cause blood clot or its impact on the incision sites.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 32 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

You took a wise decision to go for laparoscopic appendicectomy before your trip. As I already said, it is definitive treatment for appendicitis and there is a high rate of failure of conservative management. So thanks again for your decision.

Now your query is about issues which you should remind during air-travelling for more than 10 hours in the post-operative period.

See, laparoscopic procedures are usually safe procedures causing less tissue damage and lower morbidity than open procedures. Incision sites in laparoscopic procedures are very small to cause much problem.

So follow my following advice:

1. Take enough rest in this 1 week time.
2. Do some light abdominal muscle strengthening exercises that will increase the tone of your abdominal muscles like leg rising but not strenuous exercises.
3. Take antibiotics post-operatively.
4. Regular dressing of your incision sites.
5. Do consult your surgeon if there is any problem.
6. Take adequate nutrition in the form of protein, fruits and vegetables.
7. Take laxatives if there is constipation.

You should not be worried about the sitting for long hours. If there is any blood clot it will cause problem in this 1 week. Again chance of blood clot formation and its mal-effect on incision site is very very less in laparoscopic procedures.

I assure you about it and you should not get panicked.

Follow my advice, you will be benefitted.

If you know further you can ask me. Please write a review on this answer.

Wishing you quick recovery and happy journey.

Dr. Arnab Maji