Diagnosed with acute gastroenteritis and dehydration. Passed mucus and vomited. Intensity of passing stool has reduced. Having fever. Worried?

General Surgeon
My 8 year son was diognised with acute gastroentesis and some dehydration day before yesterday. He passed mucus and vommitted. He was put on IV(two and a half boottle) for dehydration and was put on steady dose of Cefoprox XP 500 mg (BD), Pantop (OD) and Emcet (SOS). It is his third day of ordeal and though he has stopped vommiting and his intensity of passing stool has decreased, he still complains of mild cramps, pukish filling and mild fever. This perticularly happens just before going to loo. Yesterday night though he had fever reaching 102 and was initially given Crocin and further administered ibugesic. I want to know if the line of treatment is fine, how many days will he take to recover, what best we can give him to eat, is bottled juice is ok.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment is not sufficient

Detailed Answer:
He needs another antibiotic.
It could be amoebiasis.
I prescribe Ciprofloxacin,Metronidazole,pantop injections to my patients with similar complaints.Once vomiting is stopped,i give a pre and probiotic capsule,ORS sachets.
Fever can be due to infection that is still persisting.
I prefer plain paracetamol for it.
We cannot tell the time of recovery.he will be well soon
Outside food should not be given.
Better to give electrolyte powder solution.i do not prefer bottled juice
Once his general condition is improved,he can go for semi solid and solid food.
Water should be boiled and given.
Check his electrolytes if possible.
Widh him speedy recovery