Diagnosed with Polycystic ovary syndrome. Taking medication. Irregular periods. How can I get pregnant?

May 2013
HI there,
I have a question. I am trying to get pregnant and during my test it is confirmed that I have Polysystic ovary synrome. I am also given with medicines and asked to reduce weight. But unexpectedly I had my periods on 16 day. I am really worried about this? What can be the cause for this irregular periods? Is this curable? Can I get pregnant naturally? please help
. I need your advise here inorder to treat this and get pregnant
Please let me know the food diet i should follow for this polysystic ovary and to get preganant
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later
thanks for the query.
the possible causes for your early onset of periods are,
1. polycystic ovary syndrome:
The features of this syndrome are hormonal imbalance, hyperinsulinemia with insulin resistance.
Normally people with this will have anovlation (no egg release), oligomenorrhea (scanty periods) or even amenorrhea (no menstrual period).
But it can also have symptoms like polymenorrhea means cycles occur too often as you are experiencing.
For this you have to
-continue your treatment for PCOS with drugs which regulate menstruation and induce ovulation, insulin sensitizers as given by your doctor.
-try to reduce the weight and maintain your BMI in between 19 to 24. Do regular exercise to maintain the weight.
-try to avoid worries as they will further increase the hormonal imbalance.
-once ovulation occurs plan intercourse during that period which will increase the chances of fertilization.
-In dietary modifications,
You should decrease carbohydrate intake, take foods made-up of whole grains like whole wheat bread,
Decrease fat intake and increase protein content.
Take high fiber diet, fruits, vegetables but avoid starchy vegetables like potatoes.
Take plenty of water avoid sugar drinks.
2.the other possibilities are uterine fibroids or polyps which can also present with polymenorrhea.
ultrasound can rule out these possibilities.
Don't worry PCOS can be cured with proper management and there is more chance to get pregnancy naturally.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.
take care.