Diagnosed with Polycystic Myelitis. Prescribed with steroids for two years. No permanent cure?

What actually is Polysistic Mylitis I have been diagnosed with it today. I would like to know what it is in laymans terms, Is it permenant? I have been put on steroids for 2 years??????????
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I am afraid - I believe you have got the spelling wrong. I have understood your "Polysistic Mylitis" as to be 'Polycystic Myelitis' which does not exist in the medical world. There is "Transverse Myelitis" - a disorder affecting the spinal cord which does need steroids as an initial line of management and beyond.

Now, as I can see that your doctor has put you on steroids for 2 years - I would be forced to assume "Myelitis" is true in your diagnosis. There is couple of other types of Myelitis syndromes but, I cannot figure out "Polycystic Myelitis" in current medical literature.

Steroids are used in varying periods in patients of "Transverse Myelitis" to cut down the inflammatory process affecting the nerves and thus providing symptomatic benefit. Step up and step down steroid regimes are the norm.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question. I could explain further on the permanency question if you come back again with your - diagnosis.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.