Diagnosed with Osteonecrosis and has been asked to do a surgery. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My sister has been diagnosed with Osteonecrosis and has been asked to do a surgery which as per the doctor is very rare in india. Please advise me on the same.
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 38 minutes later

Thanks for writing to Healthcare magic.

I have studied your case.

I would like to know some more details so that I can help you better, Is she having any other chronic illness for which she was taking medicine? What are difficulties she is facing in her daily activities? What is stage of osteonecrosis [1, 2, 3, 4]? What is her age?

Osteonecrosis of femoral head is common in India .We routinely do surgeries for osteonecrosis in India. We decide management according to stage of disease process.

In initial stages we give medicine with minor surgery, and in later stages we do major surgery
You have been advised which surgery? Can you attach your MRI hip film or report?

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with Osteonecrosis and has been asked to do a surgery. What to do? 53 minutes later

She has sever wrist pain and both on her right and left hand, due to which she is not able to lift objects. She has a strong stabbing pain in her left hand rigth now.
She is 28 years old.
Her case has been diagnosed as Preiser's disease and she has been advised to undergo surgery.
Her doctor had the same impression if she has taken any steriod or so, but she hasnt taken any such medicines.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 31 minutes later
Hello again,

Yes, in osteonecrosis scaphoid she will need to undergo surgery with augmentation by local vascularised bone graft. If you delay procedure, there can be development of wrist arthritis. After arthritis, management remains fusion of wrist joint.
Have you done MRI?
Is she had any injury /trauma to wrist? As scaphoid osteonecrosis is common after fracture.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with Osteonecrosis and has been asked to do a surgery. What to do? 51 minutes later
Yes an MRI was done. She did not have any injury to her wrist except that she uses computer/mouse for a long time.

She is currently put up in Chennai and works in Bangalore. Is this surgery done in Chennai/Bangalore. If so , could you provide reference to some good doctors?

What are the chances of success of this surgery and will her wrist function normal after the surgery and will she not have any problem in future if she recovers after the surgery?

Is there any thing she should avoid doing now or avoid after this surgery is done?

Thanks & Regards,

That is good that there was no injury. I do not know any surgeon in Chennai but you can search on our website. You need to consult hand surgeon who is expert.

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW

Success of surgery depends on viability of vascularized graft. No, she will not have any problem after surgery.

Avoid excessive radial deviation of wrist now; postoperative immobilization will be required for some days.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with Osteonecrosis and has been asked to do a surgery. What to do? 3 hours later
She also has jaw pain which she hasnt yet mentioned to her present doctor who is treating her. Could the jaw pain also be a problem. Could that also be related to osteonecrosis as well?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later

Jaw pain has multiple causes like toothache,infection,angina,postural etc.

There is also osteonecrosis of jaw, but it is not related to scaphoid osteonecrosis.

I will advise to consult dentist first for jaw pain,if its normal then we need to investigate further.
But surely do not neglect jaw pain.