Diagnosed with Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura. Taking omnacortil. Precautions?

hello, i have just been diagnosed with itp, i am taking omnacortil 40 mg twice a day. my wife is one month pregnant. will it affect her pregnancy, WHAT ARE THE PRECAUTIONS I SHOULD KEEP IN MIND FOR MY ITP.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

ITP stands for idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. In this condition, the platelets (thrombocytes) which are essential for the clotting of blood are reduced in number. It is called idiopathic because there is no apparent reason why this occurs.
Your wife’s pregnancy will not be affected by your condition as this is not a condition which spreads from 1 person to another.
You are currently receiving the correct treatment. Other options include intravenous immunoglobulins, colony stimulating factors and growth stimulation factors. But these options are exercised only if you fail to respond to steroids.

The precautions that you must take are

1. Watch out for trivial injuries. Be careful when around sharp objects
2. Watch out for bleeding from nose and always look for blood stains while flushing the toilet
3. Practice wearing shoes
4. Try and avoid engaging in activities like camping, trekking, etc. If at all you want to go for such a trip please visit your doctor as take his advice
5. Any injury, however small, should be examined by your physician
6. Find yourself a blood donor, preferably of your same blood group ready at all times.
7. If you fall sick again, inform the concerned physician about your condition.
Please keep in mind that people ITP lead normal lives and there is nothing to worry about if on regular treatment and follow up.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.
I wish you good health