Diagnosed with Herpes. Prescribed Valtrex. Terrible pain in leg. What is causing this?

Hello. I was diagnosed with Herpes when I was 23 years old; I am now 49 years old. My first initial outbreak appeared on my left hip. I have most recently been getting an outbreak between my buttocks, which is like a sore. I also notice a bump under my left buttock that has now turned into a sore. The outbreaks are always less than a "dime" size or smaller. Lucky me! I ordered the 25% Food Grade Peroxide back in July of 2014 and started taken it as prescribed. I felt great for six weeks. In fact, I felt like I was in my 20s again. The 35% FGP stated that I will develop a boil in the first stage or nausea, but continue to take that my c body is just cleaning toxics from my body. I did develop a boil, but it has since went away during the initial stage. I started back taken the vacyclovir 500mg twice daily. My questions are do you think of the 35% FGP as it relates to Herpes and do you think it's affective? I am depressed that the virus is coming in the vaginal and buttock area, it's like a cut between my buttocks. I have been to Doctors, but they just prescribe me Valtrex and send me on my way. Perhaps that is all they can do and I am being sensitive. It appears there will never be a cure. I refuse to get in a relationship, this is very difficult and I am angry at my then partner. Do you have any suggestions? I am having for outbreaks in this area, which is difficult to deal with. Also, I had this terrible pain in my right leg last week. I could hardly walk. I'm thinking this was a sign telling me what was to come. When the Herpes appear, the pain goes away a little. Could the nerve be pressing against my spine causing this pain?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Understanding the virus helps...

Detailed Answer:
The herpes virus is a common virus. You will never be cured of the virus, just as people with cold sores are never cured of their cold sores (it is also caused by herpes). The virus 'hangs out' in the sensory nerve roots near the spinal canal and with recurrences (outbreaks) the virus travels along the nerve to the area of your skin that the nerve root innervates or provides sensation. This is why the outbreaks are typically in the same locations. It sounds like you have been correctly diagnosed, but that your situation is a bit more uncommon. The FGP is not a treatment for herpes, nor does it make any sense in the treatment of a herpes outbreak - it sounds like a gimmick and a great way to take money out of your pocket.

It is correct to prescribe an antiviral for outbreaks, but it sounds like you would do better on daily suppressive therapy. Typically this is by taking Valtrex 500mg daily without stopping. Also, with the next outbreak or onset of pain, ask your doctor if there is any way that this might represent Shingles, or reactivation of the varicella virus (chicken pox virus). It almost sounds like a better story for this virus, as the herpes virus tends to occur at the border of skin and mucous membranes (outside of the vagina and on the lip). While I have seen herpes outbreaks like you describe, if I were you I would ask for a second opinion on this matter.

In answer to some of your questions:
1. No I do not think that the FGP will be effective
2. The pain is likely related to recurrences of the viral infection and the associated nerve root - felt as leg pain followed by the outbreak at the skin

I hope that this helps and good luck!