Diagnosed with Grave's disease. No symptoms, have high bilrubin. Cause of elevation?

Question
I have a 2.0 total bilirubin with no symptoms and recent diagnosis of graves disease. no medication yet. What could be the cause of high bilirubin?
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later

I am Dr. Omer , I am here to answer your question.

As you have said that you are a patient of graves (newly diagnosed) with mild blood pressure , taking enalapril have bilirubin >1.7 that is 2.0

Following are your probable causes of mildly elevated bilirubin

1.Enalapril does not causes high bilirubin

2.Cholesterol lowering drugs does cause mildly elevated bilirubin with increase in CK level(sim,atorvastatin...)

3.Graves disease may cause mild cholestasis that is increase in bilirubin

4.Mildly elevated bilirubin is also seen in ciggler najjar syndrome , that is very common abnormality in liver metabolism but I will keep it low in your case

Patients remain asymptomatic below bilirubin 4.0

IN ANY WAY BILIRUBIN OF 2.0 IS OF NO SIGNIFICANT ONCE THE ABOVE CAUSES ARE RULED OUT

I hope I have tried to answer your query.

Take care,