Diagnosed with Gardenella vagititus. Treated with antibiotics. Is it an STD?

Hi I just wondered if my boyfriend could have given me gardenella vagititus as I think he may have been unfaithfull. I understand that this can be totally normal and I could have developed it naturally but just wondered if it can be passed on from one woman to another through a man?? Thanks. I have been diagnosed and treated with the correct antibiotics. Should my partner be treated?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 46 minutes later

You are right that you can have this infection even without your partner having it.

There are several possible causes of this infection like use of bubble bath, over the counter medications used locally, multiple sexual partner, increase in frequency of sex etc.Anything which can disturb the normal vaginal flora can lead to development of this disease.

Coming your first question: Yes, logically it can be transmitted to from female to male and then to a female. Still it is very difficult to establish as cause are many. Still we lack concrete evidence on this. This is primarily not considered to be a STD.

Coming to your second question:at present at the first instance there is no need to treat your partner. Male can be asymptomatic career but unless you have recurrent infection then only your partner needs to be treated. Again this is still debatable and may doctors do not agree to this.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have follow up query, please accept the answer.