Diagnosed with GERD. Suffering from abdominal pain, sweating and nausea. Is this serious?

I am a 36 yr old female who has been suffering from stomach problems most of my life. I was diagnosed as having severe gerd when I was 18 years old. For the past 6 months I have had 4 episodes where I suffered from severe upper abdominal pain that comes and goes, nausea, constant vomiting which normally lasts for about 8-9 hours, sweating and dizziness. Once this passes I have a sore feeling in my upper abdomen that usually lasts a week. I also have no appetite and diarrhea that seems to last for about a week after these episodes. I went to the emergency room back in April when this first happened and was told it was gastritis after doing x-rays and blood tests. I am concerned because this keeps happening to me which seems to be once every 3 months. I am afraid this is something serious and looking for some answers. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 9 Dec 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 24 minutes later

Thanks for contacting XXXXXXX

Most of your symptoms like pain, nausea, vomiting can be explained by GERD. However, GERD is not associated with diarrhea. It seems the episodes of severe pain and diarrhea are not related to GERD. This may suggest a small bowel disease and require investigations to evaluate its cause. This can also be due to IBS.

You should XXXXXXX a gastroenterologist who can plan and conduct further investigations for you. Some of the investigations I think should be done are upper GI endoscopy, colonoscopy with ileoscopy, CECT to evaluate small bowel apart from few blood tests to start with.

Hope my opinion helps you.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal
Follow-up: Diagnosed with GERD. Suffering from abdominal pain, sweating and nausea. Is this serious? 8 minutes later

Thank you for your response. I will see a GI doctor and get further testing done. I have been told by more than one doctor that this is related to GERD, however I did not think that GERD could make you this sick so often. I would like to rule out anything serious. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 9 hours later

Wish you all the best. You can always contact again if you have any further queries.

Dr Dinesh Singal