Diagnosed with GERD. Having heartburn and mild burning sensation on lower abdomen. Cause and cure?

Good morning doctor. Please be informed of the following -

The chronology of the events are as follows-

A) In the month of May 2008 I observed mild discomfort on the right middle and lower portion of abdomen. I consulted a Physician after physical examination and blood test he mentioned that I have Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease. He prescribed me with some medicines (proton inhibitors, Dicetal, Bevarel etc) which I took it for couple of months. Situation improved but my body was always stressed.

B) Then after this, in the month of July 2008, I consulted another Physician. He asked me to take HPSA stool (H Pylori Stool Antigen TEST) and also underwent scanning of the abdomen. HPSA test turned out to be positive. So he gave strong antibiotics (4 weeks) to kill the H-Pylori bacteria. The situation improved a bit but still was not back to normal. The dull feeling and mild burning sensation was still there and I had lot of flatulence all through.

D) I took an appointment with another doctor in the year 2009. There I was done lower endoscopy and CT scan. CBC and C-reactive protein tests were also done. Everything turned out to be normal.

During the last few years I started having slight heartburn and mild burning sensation in the lower right abdomen, in addition to flatulence. I also very frequently got mouth ulcers. And I had been losing weight over period of 12 months to the extent of 6 kgs.

But however the situation did improve vastly over the years and presently is as follows-

As of today (25th of March 2013) I have discomfort only few days a week (three or four times a week), wherein I have the constant low intensity pressure at the anus (while i am sitting in office) and some times discomfort in the right side of the abdomen. And also sometimes I feel like rubbing the central part of tongue with my teeth. But most of my earlier symptoms/discomforts have gone. No heart burn, no mouth ulcers, no burning sensation in the abdomen etc. So out of scale of 10, I can say that I am at level 3 of discomfort (if earlier discomfort level was considered as 10). Rest of the week I am ok, but I expel lot of gas while in toilet and spend 30-40 minutes in toilet daily. I normally have two motions in a day. I meditate every morning for an hour in seated posture folding my hands bearing against stomach, during which time I can feel the movement of gas.

I have completely avoided eating some of gas producing food items such as beans, cabbage, potato, ground nuts etc.

I am not an any medication.

Please I would like to know what is the reason for the chronic discomfort.

Please keep the identity confidential

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 10 hours later
Hi and thanks for contacting XXXXXXX
heartburn and upper abdominal pain can be because of H pylori or GERD. But the right lower abdominal pain and flatulence are not a symptom of GERD or h pylori infection.
It could represent intestinal motility disorder or a bacterial overgrowth as all other tests and investigations for the same have come back as normal. However you should also get a thyroid test done and quit milk and milk products for a 2 week period ( as lactose intolerencecan produce similar symptoms). If you are north Indian in ethnicity also get a tissue transglutaminase IgA test done to rule out celiac disease.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with GERD. Having heartburn and mild burning sensation on lower abdomen. Cause and cure? 10 hours later
Thanks for your response. I am from bangalore but
Working in qatar. From your reply i understand that either it could be intestinal mobility disorder, bacterial overgrowth, thyroid or lactose intolerance. So doctor what further test should i get it done to identify the reason. Is there any solution in allopathy to remove this discomfort.
Is it possible that i can have telephonic discussion with you?
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 35 hours later
Hi and thanks for writing back
You need to do a fasting thyroid function test, stool pH and a H2-breadth test done
Management will depend on the cause and quitting milk, taking some zinc supplement will help.
A physical examination is better than a telephonic consultation, however if you wish to you could always call me
Follow-up: Diagnosed with GERD. Having heartburn and mild burning sensation on lower abdomen. Cause and cure? 23 hours later
Thanks once again for your response. Please let me know if i have to see you personally which hospital should i visit. I plan to be in bangalore in the month of july/august. Please give your contact details, so that i can fix an appointment with you.
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later
You can XXXXXXX me at Fortis hospital Bannergatta road. You could mail me at YYYY@YYYY before coming