Diagnosed with Enterococcus. Can Doxycyclin or Augmentin or cephalexin be used for treatment?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I was recently diagnosed from a perm sample with Enterococcus, I would Like to know if either Doxycyclin or Augmentin or cephalexin can be used to treat This bacteria. As I sometimes have issues with antibiotics, however I can tolerate This 3 well

Please advise. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

Antibiotic sensitivity (antibiogram) testing should be done because there is significant Enterococcal resistanc today. But, despite this, Augmentin is the first and the best choice and usually enough for full recovery. If not, it can be combined with doxycyclin. If this isn't helpful then ciprofloxacin should be used. The last option is vancomycin, but I am sure you wont need this one.

It is sometimes challenging to fight enterococcal infections but you just need to be patient and this will be fine especially if you don't have diabetes and aren't immunocompromised.

Wish you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.