Diagnosed with Chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Awaiting bone marrow biopsy results. Is chronic dry cough a symptom?

I was just diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). I've already been to MD XXXXXXX in Houston and are awaiting the results. I've had a chronic, dry cough for 2 months. Is it related to the CLL and what can be done about it?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 4 hours later

After going through your query, I would like to make the following comments:

Given your history, there are several possibilities that need to be considered:
a. Cough induced due to treatment of lisinopril: Lisinopril is an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor (ACE inhibitor) and dry cough is a very commonly complication seen in people who take lisinopril. The only definitive treatment of this is stopping therapy and switching you to an alternative drug. I would suggest that you visit your physician who will be able to guide you better.
b. A secondary respiratory infection.
c. There is a rare possibility of lung involvement by the chronic lymphocytic leukaemia.

I would suggest the following
a. Consult your physician about replacing lisinopril.
b. Get a chest Xray and your blood counts done. In the blood counts report, we need to look specifically for the eosinophil count.
d. A high resolution computerised tomography scan (HRCT) of thorax will pick up any lung involvement by your CLL.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra