Diagnosed with COPD. Suffer anxiety. Both related?

General Surgeon
Hi, just a query.

I am diagnosed with copd but, until i see the specialost next month I don't know the type I have.

Now, sometimes I get what I would describe as a mild sense of air hunger (it feels as if it is hard to take a deep and indeed satisfying deep breath) the bizzare thing is that, even when I have such sensations, my oxygen levels when tested are always perfect (I have a SP02 meter of my own)

I also suffer with anxiety.

I wondered, is this issue related to copd, or is it simply anxiety related?

I am male, and 32 years old

Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to anxiety

Detailed Answer:

In case of COPD, the breathing difficulty is reflected with reduced oxygen saturation levels. As your saturation levels are normal, the uneasiness is most likely related to anxiety.

Follow your doctor's instructions and medicines. Practice breathing exercises.
Stop smoking if you are a smoker,avoid cold weather.

Let me know the medicines you are using now. I will be able to guide you further.

Wish you good health