Diagnosed with Asthma since childhood. Have blocked runny nose, dry cough. Used tramacet for pain but no cure

Hi, I was diagnosed with Asthma when I was 6. I'm 46 now. I also battle with hayfever and a constant blocked/runny nose. I started coughing in 1999. It is a constant dry cough. Sometimes my throat goes into a shut spasm from the cough and I battle to get air through. I have been to 7 specialists already and have used many different asthma meds. I used Tramacet / Tramadol for pain (pre-op) and it relaxed my lungs so the cough was less and not so tight with very little throat spasms. But it did not cure the cough. I really hope you have some insight....
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 21 minutes later

I hope I can help you with your problem/issue. It sounds to me like your main issues is a chronic cough.....dry in nature. Chronic coughing can be one of the most difficult and frustrating conditions to effectively diagnose and treat because it can be caused by so many things. In order to help you better I need some more information. Can you please answer the questions below and I will get back to you with my final answer/opinion.

You have had the cough consistently since 1999?
Was the cough preceeded by an illness or other event?
Has your home or work environment changed since 1999?
Do you have any pets? If so, what do you have?
What meds are you on?
What makes the cough better?
What makes the cough worse?
Does the cough keep you up at night?
Is the cough productive of anything at all?
Have you been on any inhalers?
What specialists have you been to?
What did the specialists say you have?
Does the cough feel like a tickle in your throat?

Thank you in advance for providing more information. Once I receive your response I will submit my final assessment.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with Asthma since childhood. Have blocked runny nose, dry cough. Used tramacet for pain but no cure 34 minutes later
Yes coughing since 1999 I had 2 sets of Bronchitis that year's winter (May - Aug).
We moved into new house in 2000
Yes two Schnauzer dogs - apparently they do not lose hair.
Chronic:Asthavent, Beclate, Serevent, RhinoLast. At moment Celestamine as well.
When my lungs and I are relaxed, whether by 'meds' or no-stress.
Talking, stress(angst) - I'm an accounting lecturer - I have to talk.
Yes I wake up at nite coughing 3 - 4 times.
I do not know.
Yes see above. Have been on many different ones even the powder ones - that is junk.
In RSA - Ear/Nose/Throat 4 different ones and 2 Pulmonlogists & an Intern.
Chronic Asthma brought on by seasonal allergies especially dust mites and blue grass. Chronic sinus drip. (the meds dries the sinus but I still cough. My stomach has been tested for reflux it is not reflux. But No-one could to date diagnose or stop or even reduce the cough.
Oh yes - my neck and throat is very sensitive it's starts to tickle and the tickle runs down to the lungs and then I cough. But it is also just in the lungs as well.
Hope this helps. Looking forward to your reply.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 11 hours later

I reviewed your responses.

It sounds like you could have what we call "cough variant asthma". This is a mild form of asthma that presents itself as chronic coughing as the primary symptom. It could be a tickle in the throat or coughing fits, can occur after an illness, exposure to cold air, wind, dust, burning candles, etc. If you have not been on something called Alvesco, 2 puffs twice per day. I would try this for 4 to 6 weeks. If that doesn't help..then the next thing to do would be a methacholine challenge to determine without a doubt whether or not you have any form of asthma.

Have you considered "salt room therapy". This can be helpful as well.

I hope this has helped. Please let me know if I can help with anything else.