Ask a Urologist   »  

Diagnosed having UTI. Prescribed with antibiotics. Having pain under ribs. Suggest

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hello, I was at the med center until 3am this morning. The doctor said I had a severe UTI and gave me an antibiotic. I don't feel much better and I am getting pain from under my rib cage through my right side. If I press on it the pain is worse. I have a 99.0 temperature and a headache. Do you have any additional advice.
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. If they did urine analysis and blood test and there is pain during urination and flank or lower abdominal pain then there is no doubt that this is UTI. Antibiotics dont work right away,usually it takes 12-24 hours till improvement. But if pain is located under right rib cage and lower,you should do abdominal ultrasound to rule out cholecystitis or even appendicitis. Also,you should eat easier food and drink plenty of fluids. It is also possible that antibiotic is not effective against this microbe. So you should do urinoculture to verify the exact pathogene and then the right antibiotics can be used. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards