Diagnosed asthma involved with COPD and anxiety disorder. Treatment?

My GP Dr. said to me" you may have a little asthma involved with your COPD and anxiety disorder. My question to you is how would you start analyzing that and a treatment suitible for a potential problem with asthma. A spirectomy was performed and I was well below the norm. I do believe this is because of the COPD. I have smoked for 48 years and have cut down drastically but not quit completely yet.
Please tell me how you would proceed if you suspected mild asthma may have started.

Merck said in their website that dulera should only be prescribed to people that have not been successful on varing doses of corticosteroids and those who suffer from moderately high to severe asthma. My Dr. started with dulera and I stopped using it due to the side effects I experienced.
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

You mentioned that you have smoked for 48 years which has affected your lungs and caused COPD. You can have acute exacerbations which resembles asthma which your GP is referring as "little asthma". I would suggest that you get a pulmonary function test done which shall give a correct status of your lung function.

Bronchodilator medications are the drug of choice and the newer anti-asthmatic medicines are best in acute bronchial asthma rather than COPD. It shall be advisable to discuss your pulmonary function test with your treating physician preferably a pulmonologist and start on long acting bronchodilators.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal