Diagnosed as PMR for neck, shoulders and lower back. Having leg pain. Knee and ankle joints swollen. Getting bruises. Remedy?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have other health issues but the one that's causing most of the problems,is,my neck shoulders and lower back have been diagnosed as PMR,but my legs are in pain and my knee and both ankle joints are swollen,my query is why am I getting so many bruises and bleeds on my skin? thx
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Effects of steroids.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
The most likely cause of bruises and bleeds on your skin is the effect of the steroids. Although you have weaned off them, the side-effect of easy bruising will last sometime longer.
It would appear you are now not on any treatment for your polymyalgia rheumatica since you have stopped steroids. Could I suggest you consider methotrexate as an alternative treatment to steroids. Methotrexate does not have an effect on mental health in the way that steroids do. Although methotrexate also causes bruising, you may find any pain and stiffness improves.
I hope this is of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,