Diabetic,hypersensitive,lower back pain,burning urine

General Surgeon
Hi I am diabetic & hypertensive.recently my serum creatinine has come 1.20 & I am having some pain in lower back( left side). My albumin/creatinine ratio( urine) was just 2.3. My Doctor said no need of worry on kidney side. I am having spam pain on lower back. I also have little bit of bubbly unring. I am bit worried about kindeny dieases.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Diabetes & hypertension both are chronic diseases, which needs regular monitoring & treatment, constant efforts from patient as well as treating physician to keep them under control.

You have acquired both at an early age i.e.44 years only.

You have not mentioned whether the diabetes & hypertension are controlled or not.

Pain in the lower left back can be due to renal disease or pathology also.

So, the Ultrasound scan of the abdomen & complete kidney function test would help us in ruling out any Renal pathology.

Kidney function can be disturbed in both hypertension & diabetes, but drugs too can provide with high values of renal function.

Serum creatinine and blood urea are the basic indicators of renal functions and a better estimate of kidney function is done by Creatinine Clearance (CrCl) test.

Normal serum creatinine are 0.5 to 1.0 mg/dL for women and 0.7 to 1.2 mg/dL for men. A serum creatinine of 1.2 mg/dL can indicate significant renal disease in an elderly female, but not in healthy man.

In my opinion there is no harm in consulting Urologist. And discussing the matter with the treating physician to change the medicine, as medicines also harms kidney to some extent, as they are excreted through kidney.

Burning urine indicates some infection which is more common in diabetics and might need a course of antibiotics.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.
Follow-up: Diabetic,hypersensitive,lower back pain,burning urine 23 hours later
my kindney function test is as follows

creatininie serum - 1.25
urea - 23
BUN - Blodd urea Nitrogen - 10.75

Last two days even after taking AMLOPRES - L twice a day B.P. is going upto 135/90.

I am undergoing utra sound of abdomen after two days.

Do you think that there could be some problem in my Kidney?

If so what are the possible results of ultra sound?

Is it serious?

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 6 hours later

Nice to see you again.

The parameters you mentioned did not worry me at this time. I don`t see major renal or kidney problem, in my opinion drugs have caused some kidney functional abnormality which should be temporary and should be back to normal soon.

Once you change the drugs ,kidney function will return to normal.

I have seen many patients with raised Blood urea & serum creatinine on long term medicines ,once medicine is either stopped or changed function return to normal with months in early phase kidney function derangement..

Ultrasound will tell more about structural & anatomical defects in kidney and color Doppler study of renal vessels will tell about blood flow or renal artery strictures.

Hence I don`t see any thing serious at present. You should also do some some exercise or aerobics as they have also been to help in bringing down blood pressure. Although the Blood pressure is not high to cause renal compromise. I am happy that you realized the way you should keep the blood pressure under control, aim to reduce less than 130/80 mmHg.

‘Hope I have answered your query, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”