Ask a Urologist   »  

Diabetic, suffering with prostatomegaly. How to cure it?

Jul 2016

my father suffering with prostatomegaly grade 4 , he is 63 years old. please tell me how to cure, my father have diabetes.
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 52 minutes later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your father has Grade 4 Enlarged Prostate which is common at this age.and diabetes too.
I shall be happy if you post few more details to make any comment about further treatment.
1) What is his frequency of Urination in day time ?
2) What is the frequency at night ?
3) Does he have symptoms like Urgency or Hesitancy ?
4) What is the post void Urine residue reported on Ultrasound scanning ?
Assuming that you have consulted qualified Urologist and have done basic investigations and confirmed the diagnosis of enlarged prostate .
There are two options as a treatment depending upon severity of symptoms..
1) Medical line of treatment by alpha blockers and 5 alpha reductase inhibitors which help in reducing the progress of the disease and relax the smooth muscles of the bladder neck and help to improve urine flow.
However this is just a temporary measure till you decide to go for surgery.
2)The second option is endoscopic surgery the commonest and gold standard method.called (TURP) Trans Urethral Resection of Prostate.which offers permanent cure.and has good results .
Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.