Diabetic since long. Type 1/ type2?

My age is 34 now and I have a diabetes since last 5 years. No past history in my family. Is my Diabetes a Type-1 or Type-2?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 5 hours later

You have enquired about your type of Diabetes. Diabetes is classified into type 1 when there is low insulin levels. Type 2 diabetes is characterized by presence antibodies against insulin receptors.

You will need to undergo certain test such as serum anti body profile e.g. ICA, GAD etc. They will help us to classify diabetes.

You may discuss with your primary physician who can assist you in getting these test done. I shall be able to assist you further after the results of these test.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Diabetic since long. Type 1/ type2? 9 hours later
Thank you very much Sir for your reply.
My current physician said that my Diabates is Type-1 and started insulin. My earlier physician treated me as Type-2 and I was only on tablets for last 5 years. I appreciate if you only guide me about the exact test I need to undergo. Also do I need to have these test done in fasting? Can I take regular insulin while going for thes tests? Are these tests expensive?

Thank You.
Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 1 hour later

Since you are already on Insulin (Novomix-30) so estimation of Insulin level can not establish your type of Diabetes. Under the circumstances you may get your C-peptide estimated under fasting condition.

Remember for each molecule of Insulin secreted by the pancreas one molecule of C-peptide is produced so if your body's secretion of Insulin is low, level of C-peptide shall be low, despite accompanying Insulin therapy.

Hope it must be clear to you now that you need not stop Insulin while you undergo C-peptide estimation.

The cost of the tests depends on the laboratory and the methods of estimation. I am sorry to not comment on this.

Dr. L K Shankhdhar
Follow-up: Diabetic since long. Type 1/ type2? 2 hours later
Thank you Sir for your kind guidance.

I will take the insulin before dinner and then next morning I will have my C-peptide Test under fasting condition.

I was on tablets earlier and not comfortable with Insulin now.So wanted to confirm the type of my Diabetes.

After C-peptide Test, If my diabetes is confirmed as Type-2, then can insulin be stopped and I can take oral diabetes medicines? Or Insulin shots are required even if Type-2 diabetes in confirmed?

Thank You.
Warm Regards,

Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 23 hours later

Besides Fasting C-peptide, also get ICA and GAD anti bodies tested.

Revert to me after you get these tests done and then I shall be in position to answer your query regarding necessity for Insulin, as also your type of Diabetes.

Dr. LK Shankhdhar