Diabetic, have penis fungal infection, using surafz cream but no cure, tried flucos but comes again. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
hello doctor,
I am having penis fungal infection from about 1 year, i was using sulfaz cream before, than i was diagnosed for diabetes, before when i was using sulfaz cream it was giving me relief but not curing it, i even tried flucos 150 mg table given by doctor, it has effect for some time but comes back again, now for the past few months since i have been talking diabetes medication my fungal infection has gone down, but now i am got like fungal lumps around my penis, the doctor has given me salicure 6%, and told me to apply on my penis for around five minutes and then wash, but he did not give me any tables, please guide me
Posted Sun, 6 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly stop surafz at the earliest

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern for fungal infection at your penile site. It is quite common to find fungal infection in diabetics due to excess of sugar which is a growing medial for fungus. Till the time your sugar is not controlled you may get recurrent infection of fungus.

Both Surfaz as well as Salicure are not the ideal or main treatment for fungus. Surfaz contains steroid in it which actually only suppress the infection for sometime and then the infection rebounds more severely. I doubt especially for Salicure because it is never prescribed in fungal infection.

I can see the recently uploaded picture. It appears to be genital warts rather than fungal infection. In genital warts Salicure is used as main treatment. I suggest you to XXXXXXX your dermatologist and ask for the thing that whether he/she has given it for warts or for fungal infection. Your dermatologist will definitely guide you for the possibility of warts in yourself. These are completely curable thing and are a routinely encountered entity in our day to day practice.

For you fungal infection kindly stop using Surfaz as the steroid can make the situation worsened. Rather than that you should use plane “Sertaconzole cream” or “Ketocaonazole cream” or CLotrimazole cream” in a very thin layer. Maintain a good hygiene by washing the area twice in day. Most importantly control your sugar as it is the mainstay of your treatment part.

Wish you good health
with regards,
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
(MD - Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

Follow-up: Diabetic, have penis fungal infection, using surafz cream but no cure, tried flucos but comes again. Suggest? 1 hour later
I asked my dermatologist doctor and he said that that salicure 6% which he has prescribed me is for genital warts but on the cream packing its writen as special care for dry, scaly & rough feet, but my problem is penile site, so should i use salicure 6% or can you suggest me any other medication in tables or cream, i would really like to have your opinion,
As for your opinion i will stop the use of sulfaz cream, and use sertaconazole or ketoconazole cream,

If salicure 6 is not ideal for penile warts than please suggest me some other cream and tables

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Salicure is ideal treatment for warts

Detailed Answer:
Dear young fellow,

Welcome to the forum again.

So as I predicted from the picture as well as mode of treatment the main problem is of genital warts which is confirmed by your dermatologist too.

As I mentioned before, Salicaure can be used as a part of treatment for warts. You should know that a single medication can be used for mutiple purpose. So for this Any how the main part of the treatment in warts is to cauterize or burn them. This can be done medically as well by radio-frequency machines too. It is always better to use medical treatment first. Your doctor has very rightly prescribed the medication. This contains salicylic acid 6% which will burn the warts and help in removing them. It is good medicine for warts but is to be used ery safely in a ery thin layer. Apply Vaseline petroleum gelly on the normal skin so that it should not burn the normal area. Ask your doctor for the ideal time duration.

Avoid sexual contact till the warts are healed or you can use condoms as best protective method for you and your partner. Just see your partner also if she has these lesions because these are most commonly spread by sexual contact form the partner only.

This is really good that you understood the side effects of Surfaz. You can use the sertaconazole or ketoconazole cream in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible to the naked eye. Remove the excess of cream by cotton if visible by naked eye. Kinldy keep your sugar status controlled.

I hope I addressed your queries, if you have any further queries I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health
with regards,
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia