Diabetic. Taking insulin injection and on diabetic diet. Suggest a proper diet plan

I am having diabetis 130 FF and post lunch 161.My hba1c is 7.6. These reading are as of 19Mar2013.

When i did test in XXXXXXX 2013, i was having 223 FF and post lunch 430 aloing with HBA1C 11. I took insulin injection for a month and on diabetic diet since XXXXXXX till date..

Any specific recommendation in terms of diet ?

Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 1 hour later

I do understand that you are a 39 year old male and been treated for diabetes mellitus. Your initial blood sugars have been high and you had responded very well to insulin therapy. One option is to keep continuing insulin and other would be to change to oral medication, depending on other clinical parameters.

Your diet and exercise has to be continued. It is better you avoid added sugars, sweets and fried foods. Fresh fruits and vegetables are recommended.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Taking insulin injection and on diabetic diet. Suggest a proper diet plan 22 hours later
Hi Doctor- I have uploaded latest reports. Could you please check if you have any further recommendation..

In terms of diet, i have completely avioded sweets and sugar related items..

While having coffe or tea, i take sugar free natura for sweetness.

For general eating items, what you prefer in terms of biscuits, oils [currently using rice XXXXXXX oil], peanuts,almod, cashunets etc?

Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 22 minutes later

Thanks for your feedback. I had reviewed your reports and had come down from initial value. For your age, i would prefer to keep your FBS less than 100mg/dl and PPBS less than 140mg/dl.

It is good, you had avoided sweets. You can use sugar free for your coffee and tea. Rice XXXXXXX oil is good, but it is preferable to reduce the use of oil to the minimum. It is also advisable to avoid vanaspathi, coconut oil and ghee.

oats , ragi and multigrain biscuits are preferable. Cream biscuits, wafer biscuits and good day biscuts are to be avoided. Fruits and vegetable salads are better alternative to biscuits. Dry fruits can be added.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Taking insulin injection and on diabetic diet. Suggest a proper diet plan 6 minutes later
Thank you Doctor for your feedback..

Any other test you recommend ?

Also, apart from fruits and vegetables and regular medicines, what other items which i can eat which will increase the insulin power and reduce the sugar to normal level ? Any specific one which i need to add to my daily diet?

Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 11 hours later

It is also preferable to get your lipid profile, urine micro-albumin and eye examination done. There is no particular diet that will increase your insulin secretion, though bitter gourd is claimed to help your insulin secrete better. It is preferable to eat foods with low glycemic index and a dietitian can help you better in choosing your diet plan.