Diabetic. Suffer infection. Given Levaquin. Have nausea and vomiting. What can be done?

My husband has recently been in the hospital and the only diagnosis after being given many tests was that he is diabetic, picked up an infection, and had a serious reaction to it. They gave him antibiotics for four days and sent him home with Levaquin (sp?). However, he has bouts of nausea an vomiting. He has cut back on his sugar intake and has tried to stay on a decent diet. Is this nausea a reaction to the antibiotics. If so, what can be done about it? He only has two more days (2 pills) left to take of the Levaquin.
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later

Thank you so much for this query.
I am so sorry to hear about this nausea and vomiting your husband is having right now. I understand how difficult it is to see your loved one go through all this.

Nausea and vomiting are well documented side effects of levaquin. This will generally subside after the treatment. If it shouldn't then I will suggest that he again get evaluated to rule out any other possible causes. I am pretty confident it will get resolved a few days after completing drugs. Please, let him remember to drink much water during this treatment so as to limit the possible side effects caused by this medication.

I am happy with the adjustments he is making to address his recent diagnosis of diabetes. diabetes is classically manged with exercise, diet and drugs. This will go a long way to assure a good quality of live and prevent onset of complications related to diabetes.

I hope you find this helpful. If you have more questions, please do well to ask them and i will happily address them.
I wish you and your husband the best of health.
Dr, Ditah, MD.