Diabetic. Suffer from flu, fever, body ache and cough. Blood test showed platelet count 64. Remedy?

Hi doctor,
My father has been taken slightly ill and suffering from flu like symptoms with fever, body ache and cough. We got a blood test done today and the platelet count came as 64. Please advise if this is serious and needs urgent medical attention. He is 70 years old with borderline diabetic symptoms and high BP. He currently takes blood pressure control and sugar medications.

Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Guru 3 hours later

Low platelet count can be due to various reasons like ITP (Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, some viral and bacterial infections, some autoimmunie conditions, few medications like some antiepiletic drugs, some antihypertensives such as thiazides some others like heparin etc

When it is associated with flu like symptoms with fever, body ache, then viral infections like dengue have to be excluded particularly in endemic areas. Keeping his age in mind, I advice you to take him to hospital as there is need to monitor, the platelet count and treat accordingly, if there is subsequent decrease.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further. If you are satisfied please proceed with closing and rating this answer.

Wish you a good health!