Diabetic. Suffer from dry and burning mouth. Tried biotene. Had lunge surgery. What can I do?

.Hi, I am a little slow on the computer, anyway I have had this problems for five years now. I have a dry burning mouth, I have been to a dentist, ears nose & throat doctor even my doctor but I have tried biotene & that doesn't work. I am 63 years old, I have diabetes 2 along with many health problems. Year 2000 I had major back & neck surgery's, I am on a lot of medications including morphine 30mg 2xday & 15mg 3xday along with other meds. I need to cough to clear my throat constantly. I am so frustrated. Doctor what can I do? Thank You, XXXXX.................PS..........I also had lunge surgery, my right lunge was adhered to my chest wall, removed 660cc of fluid. came to find out I am allergic to bleach,pesticides & other chemicals, 2008.
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
MORPHINE is major cause of dry mouth.

Detailed Answer:

The dry mouth is common side effect from morphine, and I think you are in dire need of that medication of the pain relief so we can't advice to stop it.

Here are different ways that helps to reduce the dryness.

1) Chew sugar-free gum or suck on sugar-free hard candies to stimulate the flow of saliva.
2) Limit your caffeine intake because caffeine can make your mouth drier.
3) Try over-the-counter saliva substitutes — look for products containing xylitol, such as Mouth Kote or Oasis Moisturizing Mouth Spray, or ones containing carboxymethylcellulose
4) Avoid using over-the-counter antihistamines and decongestants

5) Keep the room air moist using the humidifier.

I know you tried the biotene and it didn't worked, I would like you to try all the 5 ways in sync, as its more likely to help then single therapy.

Thanks for the query, Please feel free to contact me in case of further concerns.