Diabetic. Sore throat with enlarged tonsil. Have foul taste in mouth and cannot eat

5 days of extremely painful sore throat with greatly enlarged right tonsil and mildly enlarged left tonsil. I also have a very foul taste in my mouth that is sometimes metallic and sometimes not. Cannot eat food because of the taste. I have lost 10 pounds over that time and I am a type 2 diabetic. Tonight I noticed 4 red, painful to lesions on the soft palate.
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

I have read your query diligently.

You seem to have an acute tonsillitis both sides that has spread unto the soft palate now.

To me, you definitely require effective antibiotics in the form of Azithromycin or Amoxcillin-clavulinic acid combination. Please do not forget to do warm saline water gargling at least thrice daily. Take anti-histamines in the form of Tablet Zyrtec 10mg at bed time for next few nights. This is available over the counter.

You must rest adequately. Consume bland diet for next one week.

I hope your Diabetes is under control. If possible, upload a picture of the throat. I would like to have a look at it.

Get well soon!
Follow-up: Diabetic. Sore throat with enlarged tonsil. Have foul taste in mouth and cannot eat 2 hours later
I took 2 Zithromax 500mg for 3 days from a sample pack I had been given. Then I noticed it was 3 years over it's expiration date. I cannot eat any food after two bites the taste is so bad it makes me nauseous. Sorry I don't have any way to upload a picture of my throat. Thank you for the information. Should I visit the ER or an acute care clinic?

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 4 hours later
I am sorry about your current symptoms. Obviously, the medicine did not work since it expired long back.

It would be ideal if you could get to an acute care clinic and get yourself a new pack of Zithromax 500 mg prescribed for 3 days. This would definitely allay your symptoms and you will feel better.

I am saying this because you are not able to eat more than 2 bites which is not a good sign. Please go to the acute care clinic.

Let me know how you feel after a day or two. There must be improvement soon.

Take care!