Diabetic. Having thyroid problem and edema. What are the findings from the blood report?

I am sending this report kindly give your feedback on this report.
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
High TSH and low hemoglobin...

Detailed Answer:

You reported that you have edema. In relation to edema in your blood reports, the significant abnormalities noted are low hemoglobin and high TSH.

Other reasons for edema include low albumin and protein, abnormal renal function / liver. You have normal albumin, protein, renal as well as liver functions. If your doctors strongly suspect edema predominantly in the peripheries, a heart screening - ECG and echocardiogram are two other tests that I would recommend.

Besides low hemoglobin and high TSH levels, other significant findings are high LDL value and abnormal sugar values. Rest of the report is not significant. That brings to my question - whether you have true edema (diagnosed by your doctor) or just over weight. There is a huge difference between the two - odema refers to collection of fluid or myxomatous collection and over weight is predominantly due to accumulation of fatty cells.

In brief, I see the following changes in your reports:
1. High TSH level - this is expected in hypothyroid patient. You will need adequate thyroid supplements to take care of it. If I were to be your treating doctor, I would use thyroid supplements like thyronorm at 25mcg a day. It can be revised according to future TSH value.
2. Low hemoglobin associated low MCV and MCH. This refers that you probably have microcytic hypochromic anemia (MHA) which is usually iron deficiency or bleeding. If you have heavy periods that might explain MHA.
3. High LDL is most likely due over weight; if this is indeed what you have.
4. Though sugar values are deranged, I will accept your values as good control diabetes.
5. The rest of the report is insignificant.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Having thyroid problem and edema. What are the findings from the blood report? 19 minutes later
Thanks for prompt reply actually she have edema in eyes any test to check the status for eye edeme and what is the treatment for that?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
That might be related to hypothyroidism...

Detailed Answer:

What you describe is puffiness of eyes, which is mainly associated with hypothyroid patient. Get your thyroid under control with proper medications to reduce this puffiness.

Further puffy eyes can also be part of over weight. If your weight is not under the normal BMI (basal metabolic index) standards then appropriate exercise and dietary changes need to be initiated too.

Lastly puffy eyes is also noticed in patients with sleep problems. In adequate sleep can cause puffy eyes and dark sleep. Make sure you sleep adequately.

I am sorry, I just reviewed your question and see this question is related to another patient and not you. Please advice my recommendations to this patient. I hope she gets well soon with these changes.

Thanks for discussing with me. Please close this discussion if all your questions are addressed.

Best wishes...