Ask a Urologist   »  

Diabetic. Having discomfort around penis during intercourse. Had circumcised. Having pain. Suggestions?

Psychiatrist
Question
Whenever my wife rubs my penis or we attempt intercourse, I have extreme discomfort around the rim of the penis end, I guess where the foreskin was circumcised, and sometimes a bit down the shaft, It feels like extremely brush burned skin and is painful to the slightest touch for hours, even a day or two afterwords. This just began in recent months. I am diabetic and do not know if this is a sympyom.
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 32 minutes later
Hi XXXXX

Diabetics are more prone to have such phenomena.

The symptoms that you are describing are likely to be part of "balanoprosthitis" (i.e infection of the particular area you are describing)

This is quite treatable with appropriate antibiotics

Your doctor will ask for blood sugar testing, examination pf the local area, culture and sensitivity of the secretions over the area.

I would suggest not to manipulate / touch the area either by you or wife, drink plenty of water till you see your doctor.

It is important and somehow urgent to see your doctor, because you are diabetic.

Or else, it may lead to urinary tract complications

Hope you are answered

Wish you good luck

Follow-up: Diabetic. Having discomfort around penis during intercourse. Had circumcised. Having pain. Suggestions? 54 minutes later
What are the causes of this problem and how may I avoid it in the future?

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 10 hours later
The causes of this problems are infections.

Infections in such cases are usually caused by bacteria like gram negative cocci and bacilli, may be caused by fungus like candida etc., or virus like herpes simplex

Diabetics who have uncontrolled blood sugar or who have diabetes for a long period are at risk

To know the blood sugar control, merely testing for blood sugar level may not be adequate rather one need to test for "glycoselated hemoglobin", which will reflect the control over preceeding 3 months

To avoid such infection in future : control your diabetes adequately, keep the local area clean with daily cleaning with antiseptic lotions like povidone iodine etc, consult doctor at early stage, drink adequate water etc

Hope this address your query

Wish you a good health