Diabetic. Getting fear attack. Any way to prevent such attacks?

Hi My parents are diabetic,I have fear of getting it,I am 32 years old male.Is there a way to prevent before even it attacks.

I am not diabetic at present.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be prevented

Detailed Answer:
Just because both your parents have diabetes,it does not mean you are destined to get it. You can prevent it with lifestyle management.
The key thing is to eat healthy and maintain normal body weight and exercise regularly. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
What is your height and weight ?

You may wish to get a blood test for an HbA1c done.

The following link will provide you with more information.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Getting fear attack. Any way to prevent such attacks? 1 hour later
My height is : 167cms and weight is :72 KGS.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are overweight

Detailed Answer:
Your BMI is 25.8. General cut-offs for BMI categories are as follows:
Normal 18-24.9 :
Overweight: 25-29.9
Obese : >30

Studies have proposed lower thresholds for people of South Asian ethnicity. So many guidelines suggest that for Indians the overweight category is defined as 23.5 to 27.5 and beyond 27.5 as obese
Regardless you fall in the overweight category

Waist circumference more than 90 cm ( 35.4 inches) for men of indian origin s indicative of abdominal obesity, which raises the risk of developing diabetes