Diabetic. Fasting 104 and post 236. Prescribed triglimisave. Now medicine banned in India. Alternative?

Sir I am 48 yr.old female with 5.1"ht, 79 kg. am suffering from type2 diabetus from last 4-5 yrs.The last fasting report is 104 and pp 236(due to my taking oral glucose for measuring PP which was otherwise used to be somewhat within the range) as on 20.6.13. I have been prescribed and taking tab.triglimisave 1 with glucobay 25 mg and tab.atirsave F since then with constant sugar under control.Now since tab.triglimisave was banned in India, what should take in place of it(as I have not been taking it since last 2 days)?
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 2 hours later
Thank you for the query.

Its very good to hear that you are keeping you blood sugar levels in control.Triglimisave 1 is nothing but a combination of glimiperide 1mg and pioglitazone 15mg.As pioglitazone and its combinations with other drugs are banned in my opinion you can take combination of glimiperide and metformin but ofcourse after consulting your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.If you have any other doubts you can ask over here again.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Fasting 104 and post 236. Prescribed triglimisave. Now medicine banned in India. Alternative? 6 hours later
Hi,Dr. I have specifically asked u to prescribe the substitute medicine in place of now banned Triglimisave. Instead of again sending me to another Dr., I requested you to prescribe appropriate glimiperide and metformin combination drug, so that looking to my medical history, I should not be without any anti-diabetic medicine, as I am from the last 3 days. So please prescribe the name of combination medicine immediately now. Please also consider, I have also been taking Glucobay in combination with the Triglimisave, but after discontinuation of triglimisave, I have also stopped taking this glucobay-F. So suggest a suitable medicine like Jalra-M(but it contains vidagliptin + metformin) or Zorep-1 or any other appropriate medicine for the time being?
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 17 minutes later

I understand your concern. But please note that any medications especially oral hypoglyemic drugs should be used under strict monitoring. Since under dosage and over dosage of sugar medication can be harmful, it is recommended that any switch of sugar medication is strictly done under guidance of close monitoring of your treating doctor. I suggested only the class of drug in my previous reply due to this fact.

But if you were to be my patient, I would suggest GLIMETAIN-M2 twice a day.

I once again warn you against self medicating this oral hypoglycemic drug in view of adverse blood sugar changes.

Hope I have answered your question this time. Let me know if you need clarifications.