Diabetic. Experiencing frequent bowel movements with mucus. Had surgeries for gall bladder and umbilical hernia. Due to stress?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am experiencing fairly frequent bowel movements which tend to be accompanied by mucus. Sometimes I do not produce much at all except mucus. I have had two operations in the last 2/3 years, one for a gall bladder removal and latterly for a umbilical hernia removal. I have not experienced any noticeable weight loss and am mildly diabetic. Could this be down to stress?
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 29 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Sudden onset of frequent stools mixed with abundant mucus in majority of cases is due to infection. Therefore it is advisable to get a stool examination done . Umbilical hernia surgery will not have any effect on bowel function. But gall bladder removal can have if it was done recently. For such cases bile salt binding agents are advised. However in your case the cause needs to be ascertained by stool examination in order to commence treatment.
I hope this answers your question.