Diabetic. Complaining of tooth pain. Given ibuprofen. Cheeks swollen. Can I give him clindamycin?

Feb 2013

My 11 year old son is a Type 1 Diabetic and seems to have an abscessd tooth. He began complaining of a toothache a couple of days ago. We gave him ibuprofen and that seemed to help. Last night we noticed that his lower cheek is swollen where the tooth is located. We called the emergency dentist line today and even texted him. No response. :/ I am calling them first thing in the morning. I have some leftover 300mg clindamycin from when I had a tooth infection. Should I give him some? I am concerned that the infection will spread or he may become septic since his immune system is compromised due to the diabetes.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 51 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The swollen lower cheek where the tooth is located is suggestive of an abscess development.

He needs a proper course of antibiotic in prescribed dose.

At the same time the pus should be drained under aseptic conditions.

Don't give him antibiotics without the prescription of the doctor.

For pain, you can give Ibuprofen in prescribed dose for the child after food.

I advise you to consult the Dental Surgeon physically for the examination and to advise the appropriate treatment plan for the child.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.