Diabetes, feel hot and have bowel movement when laying down to sleep. Is it IBS?

I am a 62 year old woman with diabetes. When I lie down at night to go to sleep, I feel hot and eventually have to have a bowel movement. Tonight I also feel nauseous. My doctor thinks I have IBS and I started the diet today. I felt really good all day until I lay down to sleep and had those symptoms. What is this?
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Before answering your question I need certain informations from you so that I am in a better position to answer.
Since when you have these complaints of feeling hot and bowel movement in night?
Is this bowel movement occurs in night only and how many times you have to go in 24 hours?
These bowel movements are watery or normal?
Do you feel any other symptom like numbness,tingling or pain in legs?
This feeling of hotness is in entire body or in lower legs only?
Do you have any nausea,vomiting,bloating or stomach fullness or constipation?
Are there any urinary complaints?
Is your diabetes controlled?
How have you kept your blood sugar levels in past 20 years of your diabetic history?
Has it largely remained controlled or uncontrolled?

Waiting for your reply.

Follow-up: Diabetes, feel hot and have bowel movement when laying down to sleep. Is it IBS? 6 hours later
The nightime bowel movements and hotness have been going on for about 5-6 weeks. I saw my gastroenterologist who gave me VSL#3 probiotic capsules which worked for a while but when I stopped them, the symptoms came back. My GP yesterday told me it was IBS, and since I have made some changes I feel better today, but still had trouble sleeping last night. When all this first started I was having bowel movements several times at night and then at 4-5 AM and sometimes after breakfast. The stools were well formed and not watery, but slid out easily. Now I went this morning and the stools are hard and in balls. My GP wants me to take a stool sample to get that tested. No numbness anywhere. I have fairly good diabetes control, I am insulin dependent, but my sugar has been more erratic since this all started. I feel better but was still awake last night and restless.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 58 minutes later
It seems your problem of watery stools specially in night may be due to small bowel bacterial overgrowth.Occasionally, relatively harmless bacteria manage to proliferate in the normally sterile small bowel. They cause diarrhoea by impairing digestion and absorption. This is a common problem in those who are diabetic or elderly.Probably because of this fact you were feeling good when your Gastroenterologist prescribed probiotic to you.
Normally IBS doesn't cause diarrhea in night.

Your hotness and watery diarrhea can be due to peripheral and sensory neuropathy due to long standing diabetes of 20 years.However chances of sensory neuropathy are less as you don't have any bladder symptom.
I advise you for the following measures
Take probiotics regularly.
Get your stool tested.
Get some VIT B12 in form of either injection or oral form.
Wait for 6 weeks.

If you don't get relief by then you may consult your Gastroenterologist for colonoscopy.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck