Developed uneasiness while breathing and feeling itchy in throat. Cause and cure?

In the last 2 months I seem to have developed some kind of uneasiness while breathing. I feel like the region between my nostril and throat have contracted. I also feel itchy in the throat quite often. I find my voice going hoarse regularly, which never happened before.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 5 hours later

It is likely that you have a chronic allergic affection that is causing you the nasal congestion (uneasy to breath) and an underlying problem responsible for the hoarseness and itchy throat.

Allergic reactions are associated with frequent sneezing, nasal congestion and clear colorless nasal discharges occurring after contact to a giving substance to which the person concerned is allergic to and has been exposed to. Dust from the house or environment, pollen grains etc are common substances to which people are allergic to.

The itchy throat and hoarse voice could be caused by an infection most probably viral which could also account for the nasal congestion. However, viral infections are short live making the diagnosis less likely and more of a gastro-esophageal reflux disease.

Gastro-esophageal reflux disease results from reverse movements of acidic food from the stomach into the esophagus and upper respiratory tract causing chronic inflammation, heart burn and voice change. A simple test like the pH metry of the esophagus is necessary to confirm or rule out a gastro-esophageal reflux disease.

Abnormal cell growth (rapidly growing cells) of the throat could account for the hoarseness but its less likely and far fetch. However, all the above are hypothesis that require a good physical examination in order to confirm or rule them out.

Hope I have shed some light on your query. If you have further queries, I will be ready to help. If you do not have further queries, you could close the discussion and rate the answer.

Best regards