Developed ringing in ears. Is this Tinnitus?

I have developed ringing in my ears about three days ago,would this be Tinnitus and if so how is it treated?
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment depends on the cause.

Detailed Answer:
hi and thanks for the query,

It could be tinnitus as you rightly put it. Treatment of tinnitus however depends on the cause. It might be important to control your blood pressure to ensure that it has not increased lately. Secondly, examination of the ears could be very useful. Depending on other symptoms history of ear disease, decrease in hearing, nausea and issues with balance, a proper and specific diagnosis could be made.

It s not unusual however to experience tinnitus with no specific identified cause, that fades away on its own.

I would suggest you control your blood pressure first. If it is normal, you book an appointment with an ENT specialist for a proper clinical review. Treatment shall depend on the finidngs. Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Thanks and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.