Developed redness on skin after using oxistat cream to treat ringworm. Side effect?

Using oxistat 1% cream to treat ringworm on my 5 year old. Applied it once and area is circular bright red. Is this a serious reaction or can I expect it to improve?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.

It seems your child might have developed an irritant reaction to the applied cream. Kindly withhold application of the cream. I would advise you to visit a dermatologist nearby primarily for two reasons

1)     to treat the irritant reaction as sometimes a prescription of a mild steroid cream and oral antihistamine is required to treat it.

2)     to confirm diagnosis as there could be other skin lesions too that can present as ring worm like lesion. Further application of steroid to treat irritant reaction may change morphology of original lesion and hence may lead to difficulty in diagnosing the condition later on.

Hope that helps. Should there be any other query, feel free to write back.