Developed painful swelling on chin. What cure should be done?

Jul 2012

I am 27 year old female. I have developed a swelling on my chin and its quite painful. I usually get pimples in my chin, but my swelling has increased in just one day and its concerning.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 8 minutes later
Hi there.
I read your problem with interest & empathise with you. From your description & sudden increase of the lesion in question, it does appear we are dealing with a furuncle that has turned into an abscess. It is very likely that contiguous follicles have ruptured leading to an abscess formation. Please do go across to your chemist or GP & ask for some glycerine magneium sulfate dressings that can be applied on the region to help in its rupture. Concomittantly an antibiotic & anti-inflammatory agent eg metronidazole & ibuprofen both 400mg doses given three times daily each with meals may help you immensely. However, the latter will call for a prescription & it is best you get this from your local GP or hospital ER whichever is nearest. Cheers & wish you a quick recovery & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD