Developed pain under rib. Feeling nausea. History of cyst in gallbladder and kidney. Worrisome

Hello, I am very worried. I was told that I have many cycts on Gallbladder and kidneys but not to worry. Recently I have developed a dull pain under my ribs to the front of them. It is eased by passing stools. Now I have started feeling nausea, can still feel hungry and eating perfectly, but dull pain remains...sometimes it is sharp. I also have a lot of gas and a 'pushing feelint ot pass stools.
I do not have yellow eyes or skin, but am worried about my liver. Actually I am worried about it all. Looking forward to your answer. Generally, I feel well, have busy life looking after grandchildren etc. It's just the dull ache, sometimes stabbing and sick feeling that worries me. I did have back pain and pain in ribs, but put that down to lifting children and age..also my right sidw feels 'heavy'
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello Ms XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I can see that your background of history of cysts in gall bladder and kidneys leading to pain is giving you stress apart from the good thing that you are working hard towards leading a normal life.

Seems to me that the pain is on and off with associated secondary symptoms of nausea and pain radiating to other locations, with no tell tale signs of Jaundice which is one of the biggest indicators of health of the liver.

But, in order that proper treatment be given to you - I have for you the following considerations which may be useful for future course of action and treatment.

1. The type of cysts needs to be diagnosed - there are many types existent for which the therapy differs. A pathological consultation in reference from your surgeon may be necessary to do this.
2. Cystic disease associated symptoms - like Hypertension in your case needs constant evaluation and followup as blowups in blood pressure sometimes may also aggravate pain.
3. Although many cysts are well treatable with minimally surgical techniques including laparoscopic and laser methods, each case is evaluated and course of action decided by the evaluating surgeon.

You need to be watchful rather than worry much at this stage, as Diet obviously is important as a detailed chart by the dietitian will help in avoiding those food stuffs known to attract stones in the kidneys and gall bladder - which also needs to be curtailed.

To alleviate your worry - you must know that all is not lost even in the worst case scenario that untreatable cysts can also be evaluated for dialysis before transplantation which is the last option.

I wish I knew all your medical history to even comment on the course of possible action - hence have included here surrounding details in your situation. Meanwhile get medical attention for your pain if intolerable.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.