Developed lump on labia minora. Is it a cyst?

I just discovered a small, hard lump on the right side of my labia minora. It's under the skin, smaller than a marble. No pain or anything with it. It is located at the top of the labia minora. I've never had anything like this before. Is it a cyst? (I'm a nurse) and it doesn't seem like a node. It was not there 2 wks ago. It just appeared. Nothing's different: I haven't been sick, I've not had any sexual relations outside of my marriage. I went to my OB/GYN and she said it felt like a cyst, she did an XXXXXXX and felt nothing wrong but when I asked her if this is normal, she said no.
Posted Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

The possibilities of your lump are:

1. Inclusion cyst which occur from clogged skin glands, feel hard and round and may be a little tender. They are not a major problem and can be removed easily by your doctor if they are a nuisance.

2. Vulvar cysts that develop from one of the mucous glands in the vulva, these can be from the Bartholin's gland which produce mucous for the vagina.
When small they do not cause problem but they can grow, become painful and get infected. Warm compresses and sitz baths usually helps get rid if them, but if they get bad, you will need to have them drained by your doctor.

3. Sebaceous cyst is a small, non-painful lump under the skin. It is usually asymptomatic unless they become infected or become really large and produce cheesy white discharge.

4. Warts are a sexually transmitted disease(STD) and have a typical appearance of flesh colored, gritty, raised or flat painless spots. They may go away on their own or your doctor can treat them if they persist.

In general, you should try warm soaks twice a day.

If your lump goes away, you do not need to worry.

If they persist, or grow or become very painful, you should see your doctor again for their removal.

A course of antibiotic can be taken as most infected cysts resolve after this.