Developed itchy and painful scab on outer ear. What treatment should be done?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
I have developed a scab on my outer ear, about four years ago, it is very painful and itchy. It seems to have developed about five years ago when I was bitten by a mosie in the South of France.
I don't sunbathe, never used sunbeds and have very thick hair, and my hair always covers my ears.
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 5 hours later
Thank you for posting your query on health care magic. It is very unlikely that you have a scab for a duration of 4 years as scab is just a crust that is found over the wound during healing.Do you have a history of extensive scarring as It may be an elevated scar known as a hypertrophic scar or keloid. To tell you what it is exactly clinically I can comment only once I see the clear pictures of the pathologic lesion. The signs of itching and pain may support the possibility of severe scarring mentioned above or developing malignancy.I would recommend you to visit your family physician to tell you the clinical diagnosis ,though to rule out the malignancy in the scar you may have to undergo investigation in form of FNAC( fine needle aspiration cytology).If it is hypertrophic scar or keloid you may require some intralesional injections with silicon sheet application and ear compressive clips.If its malignant it needs
further investigations I hope I have given you an insight into the way you may go about the
pathologic lesion and answered all your queries.Incase of any further doubts feel free to post
God Bless
Dr Mayank Singh