Developed growth on neck. Feeling burning and itching. What could this e? Remedy?

My sister complained of developing a growth on the left side of her neck and the growth comes and goes with itching and burning sensation all over her body..this has been for couple of months now. Please what could this be and what can she do? Thank you
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 13 minutes later
As an endocrinologist and thyroid specialist, I focus on thyroid growths in the neck.

I recommend you request your doctor for an Ultrasound of your neck to assess the nature of the growth. It is important to know the source of the 'growth'. If it is from the thyroid then there are several ways to approach it. However statistically 95 % of thyroid lumps in the neck are benign (not cancer).
If it is a lymph node, then your primary care doctor may wish to consider ordering a CT scan to further analyze the lymph node enlargement. Sometimes ENT surgeons are involved and the lymph nodes may need to be biopsied.

This weblink has more information on thyroid nodules :

Follow-up: Developed growth on neck. Feeling burning and itching. What could this e? Remedy? 6 minutes later
So she could be suffering from thyroid and not infection? She is back in Africa,what other tests or medication can she take because I dont think there is a place she can do the tests you recommended,but will ask her if she can. She said the growth comes particularly when she finished eating,itched and gave gave her burning sentation all over her body and after sometimes disappeared. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 hours later
This description is quite unusual. I strongly recommend a personal physical exam by a local doctor there.