Developed bump on gum after being into relation. Can STD be contracted through oral sex?

Question
this concerns sucking on a breast
can one contract an std from sucking on a breast if there is no fluid secreted by the woman and the man has no sores in his mouth? I developed a little bump on my gum 2 days after being with a woman I should not have been with (a prostitute) and am worried about, perhaps syphilis. I don't think it could be any other STD. Any other sexual contact was done while wearing a condom. HELP!!
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adviced investigations to exclude infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for using Healthcare magic for your query.

I can understand your concern. Syphillis spreads through direct sexual contact; the causative organism (Trypanoma pallidium) has potentials to pass through intact mucus membrane or a compromised skin.

So in your case, even if there was no secretions from the breast or ulceration in your mouth, if the lady had a skin lesion at her nipple, there is chance for getting infection while sucking the breast.

That being said, the time between getting symptoms and contact (latent period ) for syphilis is 3 to90 days (21 days average). So I do not believe the current lesions on your mouth is from syphillis. I would start vitamin supplements along mouth paints (if it's painful) for the current problem and refer you to a skin specialist to evaluate the possibility of sexually transmitted disease.

Do not be concerned, the chances of infection is less likely.

I hope I have answered your query up to your satisfaction. I will be happy to help you for next query, if any.
Thank you.

Follow-up: Developed bump on gum after being into relation. Can STD be contracted through oral sex? 6 hours later
By skin lesion, do you mean compromised skin-i.e. broken skin of some sort?

Brief Answer:
Various Syphillitic skin lesions are as follows-

Detailed Answer:
HI,
Thanks for the concern & the follow up query.
The skin lesion is characteristic of secondary Syphillis. It can be manifested in varied forms. The lesions likely to be present on breast, trunk, extremities are-
- Symetrical, non itching, reddish pink rash is common.
-It may sometimes look like eczema with some pustules.
-Sometimes it takes form of plaques.
Apart from these,'Condiloma Lata' are very specific & infectious lesions, having a waxy, elevated, dark pink color. They mostly occur in moist mucus membrane areas like labia, penis.Not seen on skin.
I hope the answer has satisfied you. In case you have another query, I would be happy to help you.
Thank you.

Follow-up: Developed bump on gum after being into relation. Can STD be contracted through oral sex? 5 hours later
Can I assume that these are things that are generally noticeable-in other words not just one XXXXXXX on the body?
Also, what are pustules and plaques?
One last question: If a person had any of the lesions you mention, would mere touching them with a hand or an arm be enough to contract the disease or would it have to me a sexual part or the mouth?

Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Skin lesion in 2nd ry syphillis is genaralised.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Here is the information to clear your doubts.
*The skin lesions in secondary Syphillis are generally noticeable -. They are seen on trunk, the extremities, palms and soles. Singular lesion is very rare.
Apart from skin it also involves lymph glands & mucus membrane.
* Pustules are pimple like lesions.
* Plaques are lesions which look & feel like an ornamental (shining) metal tablet.
*The lesions in secondary Syphillis harbor bacteria & can transmit infection
- When merely touched by hand/arm--IF the skin of the touching part is compromised (cracked/broken)
- by sexual contact/ kissing .Here the bacteria can easily pass through even an intact mucus membrane.

I hope I have made the points clear to satisfy you.Any further query, I will be happy to help.

Thank you.