Developed boil on buttocks. Having pain and feeling feverish. Remedy?

Feb 2013

My Daugther is 2 year old. A boil has developed on the upper side of her buttocks (last 7 days) which is redish in color and nearby skin is hard and there is no pus devepoed yet but she is feeling lot of pain and slight feveish also. Please suggest the remedy to treat this to avoid further complication.
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 11 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

It is looking like a boil or an evolving abscess which is due to bacterial infection most probably.

If the boil is superficial like a pustule or pyoderma, local antibiotic cream like mupirocin application over the lesion for 5 to 7 days is sufficient.

If it is large, with systemic signs like fever, it requires oral antibiotic for an appropriate duration in addition to local antibiotic cream.

For pain and fever you can give antipyretic like paracetamol or ibuprofen in prescribed dose.

Physical examination is important to know whether it is a simple boil or there is any underlying abscess.

If there is an abscess with pus, it should be drained under aseptic precautions by a doctor in addition to the use of antibiotic.

Therefore I advise you to consult the pediatrician for the examination of the child and for appropriate management.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.