Depressed and worried about child health. How to overcome this?

Hello dr I'm XXXXXXX XXXX I'm a physiotherapist worked in narahrudayalaya hospital Seen many congenital heart n mental restarted babies Now I'm housewife from 4years after my son birth He z now 3year I'm worried and depressed if my son gets even lite cough or any health problem Constantly thinks about it Worried of medication side effects this makes my family life so dull Even elders in my home say nothing to worry I will be in same mood
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in. Children when small, fall ill frequently and as a caring parent you can st best take him to the pediatrician and get a diagnosis which may require certain medications. It is important that if you take him to one doctor he will know illness history and give medicines keeping in mind past illnesses. This way you may control your son from getting too many medications and also their side effects. From a mother's point of view, it is natural to get worried for your son. Your duty is to observe the child closely and give him food and medication on time. If he shows any worsening, you should take him to doctor again. Having said the above, at those times please be calm and do not get worried. Have faith in your doctor and God that nothing bad will happen to your son if you hive him proper love and care. Little amount of stress should be there and this is positive stress which wilk make you take right decision and prevent you from being a careless parent. Please keep in mind that too much stress can prevent you from taking proper care of your child and delay his recovery. Unfortunately we cannot measure stress. The best way would be to not allow stress to affect your daily work at home and at the same time caring for your son and taking suggestions from seniors when required. I hope this answers your query. Do write back in case of doubts. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor