Dentist recommended amoxicillin. Having hip pain, allergy and facial swelling. Side effects of medicine?

I have had hip replacement surgery. My dentist gave me amoxicillin as a antibiotic. i am experiencing hip pain. i alsotake norvask andapo-hyro to control blood pressure. i have an unknown allergy, benedril controls the facial swelling my allergist gave me tramadol for pain relief. could the drug interaction be the causefor my hip pain?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Omer 3 hours later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query

You have described all your current medications and wish to know if any of these may have interacted to cause the hip pain. Well, without an opportunity to examine and evaluate your hip, it would be difficult to predict that; however based on the information provided, you should be aware of the following interactions.

1. Amoxicillin and hydrochlorothiazide (apo hydro) can interact with each other. Amoxcilliin increases levels of the hydrochlorothiazide by decreasing renal clearance. Hydrochlorothiazide is known to increase uric acid levels in the body - this can cause joint pains. s

2. Diphenhydramine(Benadryl) and tramadol - both cause sedation. You may feel more sleepy while on these drugs. It is not likely to cause the joint pain.

I suggest you to discuss with your treating doctor about these interactions and rationalize the treatment accordingly. Other antibiotic such as cephalosporin or quinolones which have least interactions can be preferred over amoxicillin in this regards.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.